How The Course Looked
The course only had eight holes at this time. The Hole Across would be added in 1870 in preparation for the course to accommodate championship play. Most of the other holes remain similar to how they play today.
This map (to be added soon) shows the course after the last Open had been played and remains as close a guide to the course as we can hope to have. The course remains similar in shape to then, but it has been lengthened slightly when the Racecourse moved its boundaries in 1985 and 1996. Notice the huge bunkers which were a feature of the course and in particular the large expanse on the Table hole. This was the famous “Pandy” bunker. A euphemism for pandemonium! It was well named. In John Smart’s famous picture of the bunker, it is inscribed “In Pandy, play two more!” A copy of this picture hangs on the Clubhouse Lounge wall.